Wednesday, May 31, 2006

AUT Strike

Taking a short break from studying. Hehz, been camping at the library from noon to 1-2am in the morning the past 3 days, not very very productive, but it beats staying in Heronbank, considering I wasted one whole week earlier doing nothing.

There's a nationwide teachers' union (AUT) strike going on, because the teachers feel that they are underpaid. Many of our assignments have been either unmarked or withheld from releasing results. As a response, our school held back the teachers' pay as the teachers were breaching their employment contracts. The events took a turn for the worse when some of our school teachers refused to set exam papers, and the school had to step in to set their own questions. As a result, those papers that were set by the school had a vastly different format from past papers, students walked out of their examination halls halfway through the paper because they couldn't do it. Hehz, I was lucky that none of my papers were set by the school, though I've taken one of those modules in my first year.

However, because of the dispute, I'm not going to get my final year results before graduation, hence I'll be graduating with an unclassified degree. This year constitutes 60% of my degree. Hmm... This means I cannot find a job until I get my proper degree, which will have to wait until dunno when. Even if the dispute is settled by July, given UK efficiency, they'll have to take time to sort out the results and such, most likely I'll be able to get my degree in August the earliest. Don't think I can compete with other people who have graduated with honours while I'm stuck with an unclassified degree. Ho ho ho, good excuse to not find a job right?

For some reason I'm not too concerned about it. Maybe 'cos I'm too worried about my exams to think about that for now. Maybe 'cos there's nothing I can do anyway. Maybe 'cos I know there are people who are affected even more greatly than I do. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE, you know? =)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, mugging in the library has been quite enjoyable nowadays; because I have makan and mugging kakis (which is a VERY interesting mix of people to me) and Edwin's collection of Kit Chan, Stella Chang, Ah Mei and Wu Bai CDs. Never knew there was someone else who has similar taste in songs of 'that era', heez... Found this 经典 song that I can't resist repeating over and over again:


认真的眼睛(张清芳

你微笑说彻底放弃
那段纠缠好久的感情
你说自己焕然一新
就不会再为任何人
浪费太多的心情

可惜你我都不善抗拒
包裹爱情彩色的糖衣
只有在真实靠近才怪自己眼睛

oh 眼睛一对认真的眼睛
当爱情又迎面来袭
总是左看右看看不清
oh 眼睛一对认真的眼睛
当爱情已褪去
只有在泪水中冷静

In addition, we saw fireworks from the window that lasted for about 15 mins on Sunday, think it came from Kenilworth Castle, there was some fireworks festival apparently. Monday's weather was disgustingly irratic - there was sun, then it rained, then it hailed (in late May my goodness!) and guess what? Out came the nicest rainbow that had clearly defined colours even in Edwin's low-pixeled phone camera.

What does that show? In every s*it, there's bound to be something good coming out of it... =)

No comments: