Hee, obviously workload is catching up on me and I'm getting more accustomed to life here, as frequency of me seeking solace in the blog has reduced... Been swimming twice in the past 3 days: 62 laps on Wednesday and 80 laps today! Hee hee, hope it helps to maintain (I'm not asking for reduction, 'cos the food has really been too fattening!) my current weight. Shan't tell what is it =X By the way, have I mentioned that I bought a weighing scale at Walmart for US$5.99? But I miss my MUJI digital weighing scale in UK! *ahem* Those holding on to it, make sure it still works when I return ah!
Also, I've been spending the past 2 nights hanging out with the Singaporean freshers again, point to note: WITHOUT Daniel Quek around. (Sorry Simin, he's got to share the same surname as u... Have I mentioned that he's a TCHS-HCJC guy?) The first night I was at the late night cafe (which opens from 8pm to 12 midnight) chit-chatting with Yee Lin, Lu Hai and Bernard. Note: Bernard ate 2/3 of a packet of fries, a relatively huge (and oily) double cheeseburger and one pizza (about 1 1/2 size the small pizza at pizza hut) Hmm... We all wonder what will happen to him when he goes back to Singapore and report to SAF.... =P
Last night was really enjoyable, we (same group plus a few others) went to A-Ri-Rang, a korean restaurant on campus for dinner. Took a slow stroll back, and we ended sitting on the field and watching the stars. Weather was cooling, and we spent the rest of the journey back laughing about Bernard's room mate - he woke up in the middle of the night and relieved himself at the waste paper basket.
Today's ethics class was quite... Interesting. We spent the whole 50 mins discussing about doing away with excision, a.k.a female genital mutilation, which is the removal of the clitoris. Our tutor started off saying that different cultures have different perceptions towards "acceptable" and "not acceptable". For instance, some cultures feel that public exposure of the breasts is acceptable, while others don't. He continued at a softer tone,"Personal disclosure, we don't mind." And the class burst into laughter. Actually the whole idea of the discussion was to veto the following points to why people accept excision:
1. Less unwanted pregnancies for unmarried women
2. Less adultery
3. Wives would be more attentive to children and husband
4. Husbands will enjoy sex more
The amusing part was how the americans were trying to veto the point and not divulging their own personal (sexual) experiences to reinstate their views, and our tutor kept on defending the acceptance of excision, which made students more exasperated and "constipated" as they couldn't really talk about the points (especially point 4) blatantly. At the end of the lesson, Bryan, a black guy, said,"I wouldn't enjoy sex more if I see that I'm not able to give the other party pleasure and enjoyment." And the class ended at at a climax, hee hee... K, not sure if readers are grossed out yet =P
Oh ya, it's been quite warm and sunny at UIUC, in the sense you'll perspire if you walk to classes. So as with most ang mohs, they will bask under the sun in the fields, wearing bikinis and some even underwear. Hee, over last night's dinner, we're discussing what would happen if we ever see NUS/NTU/SMU/SIM students doing such things... Thought it was quite a hilarious idea.
Yep, going to Chicago tomorrow for a 2 day 1 night trip. Looking forward to it! Oh to my fellow Singsoc exco friends, I was quite impressed by their organisational abilities:
1) They have a very active yahoo group, i.e. you'll receive emails everyday from it.
2) For this trip, they have 44 people (about 15 freshers, the rest seniors) and they rented 4 vans, with the singaporeans driving, and had the allocation of seats and hotel rooms sorted out already, making sure the freshers will mix with seniors.
3) They also had iternary planned; something like the time we had at cambridge/oxford, where we gather at the hotel and have our free time after that. On top of it, they gave us a map.
I guess in the UK, we probably don't have that much resources and it's probably just not that conducive to have such outings. Hmm... Just sharing with you all. Still, our singsoc as its merits as well, like it isn't as exclusive as the SSA here, eg. the Chicago trip is for Singaporeans only, and I feel we're more closely knitted together ah... K, that's a biased statement, hahaha~ Enjoy the weekend, tata~
Also, I've been spending the past 2 nights hanging out with the Singaporean freshers again, point to note: WITHOUT Daniel Quek around. (Sorry Simin, he's got to share the same surname as u... Have I mentioned that he's a TCHS-HCJC guy?) The first night I was at the late night cafe (which opens from 8pm to 12 midnight) chit-chatting with Yee Lin, Lu Hai and Bernard. Note: Bernard ate 2/3 of a packet of fries, a relatively huge (and oily) double cheeseburger and one pizza (about 1 1/2 size the small pizza at pizza hut) Hmm... We all wonder what will happen to him when he goes back to Singapore and report to SAF.... =P
Last night was really enjoyable, we (same group plus a few others) went to A-Ri-Rang, a korean restaurant on campus for dinner. Took a slow stroll back, and we ended sitting on the field and watching the stars. Weather was cooling, and we spent the rest of the journey back laughing about Bernard's room mate - he woke up in the middle of the night and relieved himself at the waste paper basket.
Today's ethics class was quite... Interesting. We spent the whole 50 mins discussing about doing away with excision, a.k.a female genital mutilation, which is the removal of the clitoris. Our tutor started off saying that different cultures have different perceptions towards "acceptable" and "not acceptable". For instance, some cultures feel that public exposure of the breasts is acceptable, while others don't. He continued at a softer tone,"Personal disclosure, we don't mind." And the class burst into laughter. Actually the whole idea of the discussion was to veto the following points to why people accept excision:
1. Less unwanted pregnancies for unmarried women
2. Less adultery
3. Wives would be more attentive to children and husband
4. Husbands will enjoy sex more
The amusing part was how the americans were trying to veto the point and not divulging their own personal (sexual) experiences to reinstate their views, and our tutor kept on defending the acceptance of excision, which made students more exasperated and "constipated" as they couldn't really talk about the points (especially point 4) blatantly. At the end of the lesson, Bryan, a black guy, said,"I wouldn't enjoy sex more if I see that I'm not able to give the other party pleasure and enjoyment." And the class ended at at a climax, hee hee... K, not sure if readers are grossed out yet =P
Oh ya, it's been quite warm and sunny at UIUC, in the sense you'll perspire if you walk to classes. So as with most ang mohs, they will bask under the sun in the fields, wearing bikinis and some even underwear. Hee, over last night's dinner, we're discussing what would happen if we ever see NUS/NTU/SMU/SIM students doing such things... Thought it was quite a hilarious idea.
Yep, going to Chicago tomorrow for a 2 day 1 night trip. Looking forward to it! Oh to my fellow Singsoc exco friends, I was quite impressed by their organisational abilities:
1) They have a very active yahoo group, i.e. you'll receive emails everyday from it.
2) For this trip, they have 44 people (about 15 freshers, the rest seniors) and they rented 4 vans, with the singaporeans driving, and had the allocation of seats and hotel rooms sorted out already, making sure the freshers will mix with seniors.
3) They also had iternary planned; something like the time we had at cambridge/oxford, where we gather at the hotel and have our free time after that. On top of it, they gave us a map.
I guess in the UK, we probably don't have that much resources and it's probably just not that conducive to have such outings. Hmm... Just sharing with you all. Still, our singsoc as its merits as well, like it isn't as exclusive as the SSA here, eg. the Chicago trip is for Singaporeans only, and I feel we're more closely knitted together ah... K, that's a biased statement, hahaha~ Enjoy the weekend, tata~
No comments:
Post a Comment