As the title denotes, THERE WAS A BLACKOUT AT HERONBANK OVER THE WEEKEND!!! Everything's restored now with a temporary generator, except for the heater, so the room's cold and there's no hot water for shower. *brrrr*
The first blackout came on Friday wee hours around 0330, but that time I was all snuggled in bed, so didn't realise the impact till I woke up in the morning. "Eh? How come my laptop is running on batteries? Don't tell me my power cord has spoilt?!" Then I found out it was a black out. Never realise how reliant on electricity I was until I realise my toilet was pitch black when I shut the door, and I couldn't use my laptop, have to conserve battery power. Went to the kitchen and realised nothing was working - cannot make oats with the microwave, or even the stove 'cos it's electric stove. Luckily the power came back in the afternoon.
Thought that was it. So wrong. Saturday night at 8 pm, the next power outage came, this time the whole hall got it. ARGH - it's the weekend!!! British efficiency - they don't usually work on weekends, and if they do, they'll be quite slow at it. Luckily it's spring now, the sun sets around 845, so we had a bit of sun then. Had to wait for 1 hour before the electrician came. Thank you. Meantime my corridor mates and I hung out along the corridor where there's the emergency lights, eating whatever snacks we could get our hands on, in hope it'll cheer us up. But the problem couldn't be fixed, we had to order indian takeaway and have "candlelight dinner". Luckily the outage happened just after I took my shower. *shudder at the thought* By 11pm, most of the flats have gotten their electricity back, except ours and 2 other flats. Hmm... *keep cool keep cool* Never mind, this is a good excuse to sleep early.
Sunday morning - the electricity wasn't back yet. We didn't sleep well anyway, kept waking up and check if the electricity is back. We gave up and went to the Learning Grid to do our work and study. Thankful for that, I finished my last assignment. And we're told the electricity is back noontime!! Went back, but alas! No hot water! And the cold water in UK isn't like the cold water in Singapore - leave your hands under it for 20 seconds and they'll be numb. Sorry guys, I didn't shower that night. =X
Went for class the whole of Monday. Got a call from Hsienhui at 6pm that the hot water is back! YAY!!! So I went back at 7pm after my lecture, looking forward to my much awaited shower. GUESS WHAT? THERE WAS ANOTHER BLACKOUT 10 MINUTES AFTER I GOT BACK!! @$#T$%%@#$!%$%^&%*I^&*%^$%!!!! Komal said there was still hot water, so I quickly showered with my toilet door open (luckily my room's ensuite), while recalling someone saying that our fire alarm is so sensitive that if we shower with our toilet door open, it will go off. Couldn't care less. For the first time, my housemates and I went out for dinner, good bonding session, haha~! When we got back, the electricity is back too, which explains why I can type this entry now. Hmm... Think my narrative skills are quite lacking, not enough emotions, not captivating
Anyway, the past few days had really been a test of our patience and ability to keep cool. I was lucky I wasn't too stressed, but my housemates had deadlines to meet these few days. Thankful for that. But had my worst PMS this year. Think I've hurt some with my remarks. Had to be patient with others too, 'cos everyone else were highly strung - must be careful of stepping on their toes and be there if they need anything. Guess this would be something we'll all laugh about when it's all over. Not now, not yet. =S Haha~!
The first blackout came on Friday wee hours around 0330, but that time I was all snuggled in bed, so didn't realise the impact till I woke up in the morning. "Eh? How come my laptop is running on batteries? Don't tell me my power cord has spoilt?!" Then I found out it was a black out. Never realise how reliant on electricity I was until I realise my toilet was pitch black when I shut the door, and I couldn't use my laptop, have to conserve battery power. Went to the kitchen and realised nothing was working - cannot make oats with the microwave, or even the stove 'cos it's electric stove. Luckily the power came back in the afternoon.
Thought that was it. So wrong. Saturday night at 8 pm, the next power outage came, this time the whole hall got it. ARGH - it's the weekend!!! British efficiency - they don't usually work on weekends, and if they do, they'll be quite slow at it. Luckily it's spring now, the sun sets around 845, so we had a bit of sun then. Had to wait for 1 hour before the electrician came. Thank you. Meantime my corridor mates and I hung out along the corridor where there's the emergency lights, eating whatever snacks we could get our hands on, in hope it'll cheer us up. But the problem couldn't be fixed, we had to order indian takeaway and have "candlelight dinner". Luckily the outage happened just after I took my shower. *shudder at the thought* By 11pm, most of the flats have gotten their electricity back, except ours and 2 other flats. Hmm... *keep cool keep cool* Never mind, this is a good excuse to sleep early.
Sunday morning - the electricity wasn't back yet. We didn't sleep well anyway, kept waking up and check if the electricity is back. We gave up and went to the Learning Grid to do our work and study. Thankful for that, I finished my last assignment. And we're told the electricity is back noontime!! Went back, but alas! No hot water! And the cold water in UK isn't like the cold water in Singapore - leave your hands under it for 20 seconds and they'll be numb. Sorry guys, I didn't shower that night. =X
Went for class the whole of Monday. Got a call from Hsienhui at 6pm that the hot water is back! YAY!!! So I went back at 7pm after my lecture, looking forward to my much awaited shower. GUESS WHAT? THERE WAS ANOTHER BLACKOUT 10 MINUTES AFTER I GOT BACK!! @$#T$%%@#$!%$%^&%*I^&*%^$%!!!! Komal said there was still hot water, so I quickly showered with my toilet door open (luckily my room's ensuite), while recalling someone saying that our fire alarm is so sensitive that if we shower with our toilet door open, it will go off. Couldn't care less. For the first time, my housemates and I went out for dinner, good bonding session, haha~! When we got back, the electricity is back too, which explains why I can type this entry now. Hmm... Think my narrative skills are quite lacking, not enough emotions, not captivating
Anyway, the past few days had really been a test of our patience and ability to keep cool. I was lucky I wasn't too stressed, but my housemates had deadlines to meet these few days. Thankful for that. But had my worst PMS this year. Think I've hurt some with my remarks. Had to be patient with others too, 'cos everyone else were highly strung - must be careful of stepping on their toes and be there if they need anything. Guess this would be something we'll all laugh about when it's all over. Not now, not yet. =S Haha~!
如果没有停电,可能就没发现烛光的美吧。。。
No comments:
Post a Comment