Before I talk about today, I'd want to make a clarification regarding the previous entry. Part of the passage struck resonance in me, but there are parts of it that I don't really agree with. For one, I just think that my life in Singapore, in Warwick and in UIUC have been pretty different; I don't really compare it in terms of good or bad, but just comparing in terms of differences. I love my friends in Singapore - distance has been a good way to bring our friendships to a higher level of maturity; I love my friends in UK - we've shared a lot of experiences and things which bonded us together even though we may not talk to one another everyday like before, and I'm still excited to see what the year ahead has for us; I also love my friends in UIUC - it's really amazing how much you guys have done for me even though I'm only here for such a short while, and I'd really miss all of you when I leave.
Sometimes I'm really angry with whoever's-up-there for planning all these great things in my life. Sounds weird? Let me try to explain. I've always seemed to be so blessed, to be the one leaving, and not the one left behind. Every transition has been met with apprehension, then enjoyment, and finally sadness when farewell comes into the picture. Though I'm really thankful to know so many great people, but the emotional roller coaster is really sometimes too draining. Although I've never regret knowing any of these people and going through all these wonderful experiences, sometimes "you won't miss what you don't know". Well, seriously, I hate departing, though I hope it's never going to be a deterrent for me to put 100% into every friendship that comes along my way.
Well, anyway, as the title denotes, I had a surprise farewell party today, organized by Helmi. Started off with having to send Likyin to her taekwondo belt test (which she passed!!! OF COURSE) and going back to pass Helmi the car as he had to "run some errands". He asked me to find Yee Lin at the lounge, and when I reached there, I couldn't find her, but saw a lot of catered food on the tables there. When I was about to leave, I caught a glimpse of Jonathan and realized everyone was hiding at one corner. Then I realized on the board, it said,"Xiuli! We will miss you!"
Was really shocked to see suddenly there's so many people hiding there, and in the end, realized there's like 20+ people: Yee Lin, Helmi, Grace, Andrew, Liu Hao, Mark Wong, Dennis, Vincent, Yinyi, Torance, Joel, (Kaibei sprained his ankle and couldn't make it), Zhixiu, Daniel, Jermyn, Bernard, Liana, Wuisiew, Zhensi, Victor, Jonathan, Jiayan, Shanqing, Xiaoqing and Shihong. Hope I didn't miss anyone out, 'cos everyone really mattered! And I received a bouquet of flowers from Likyin and 2 CDs of videos (compiled n filmed by Yeelin and Grace, Andrew and Helmi playing a big role in it too) of individual well wishing from the people mentioned above and more (Mark Wilfred, Raymond, Janice, Jane and Peidi) All of them actually took time off to come to the farewell party (it's only 1 week to finals, and those who know me, will know the mugging culture in UIUC) and especially Grace and Yeelin, nearly pulled an all nighter to complete the compilations of the videos.
The videos were very interesting: There were those of us watching the Illini basketball games - how everyone were screaming away, especially when we tied and had overtime at the Arizona game. Also, there was the one that Dennis filmed in Lincoln Hall, our lecture theatre, and it was actually filmed after the very lecture we skipped to have lunch, and the lecturer was there, the slides were still there, just that everyone else have left. Goodness, and he was pointing to the lecturer "This is the lecture that we've just missed to go for lunch" Yikes! What if the lecturer heard it?? Also there's the one with Torance having a constipated look (in terms of emotions =P) talking and suddenly SQ's slipper came flying and hit him. And also Liu Hao's solo drama in the toilet - our favorite hangout last semester, gosh, I was seriously laughing and crying at the same time! Not forgetting Andrew's handstand and "fantastic" singing, and Yeelin, Helmi, Grace and Andrew dancing at 1 am in the morning. Goodness, I'm just so blessed! There are still many interesting ones, in fact every single was interesting - there was also the one in which Raymond was talking so seriously and Andrew was making weird gestures at the back without him knowing; and in Victor's one, Jane and Andrew were doing the Bollywood dance behind him. So cute!!!!!! Not forgetting the 'interesting' remote control in SQ's house in Xiaoqing's video clip.
I can never thank Yeelin and Grace enough for making the effort to meet up with all these people (and also all these people to meet up with them too) and make these 2 wonderful CDs. I guess words really can't describe how much effort they've put in and how thankful and (guilty) I am towards them. Basically everyone, seriously, everyone.
I really would like to go on about all the video clips and the times I had with all these people. But I guess, it's more for me than for others if I'd want to write them in this blog rite? Ah... Not making sense anymore, tired tired, been up since 8 in the morning. Better catch some sleep. Good night Xiuli. Good night everyone.
Sometimes I'm really angry with whoever's-up-there for planning all these great things in my life. Sounds weird? Let me try to explain. I've always seemed to be so blessed, to be the one leaving, and not the one left behind. Every transition has been met with apprehension, then enjoyment, and finally sadness when farewell comes into the picture. Though I'm really thankful to know so many great people, but the emotional roller coaster is really sometimes too draining. Although I've never regret knowing any of these people and going through all these wonderful experiences, sometimes "you won't miss what you don't know". Well, seriously, I hate departing, though I hope it's never going to be a deterrent for me to put 100% into every friendship that comes along my way.
Well, anyway, as the title denotes, I had a surprise farewell party today, organized by Helmi. Started off with having to send Likyin to her taekwondo belt test (which she passed!!! OF COURSE) and going back to pass Helmi the car as he had to "run some errands". He asked me to find Yee Lin at the lounge, and when I reached there, I couldn't find her, but saw a lot of catered food on the tables there. When I was about to leave, I caught a glimpse of Jonathan and realized everyone was hiding at one corner. Then I realized on the board, it said,"Xiuli! We will miss you!"
Was really shocked to see suddenly there's so many people hiding there, and in the end, realized there's like 20+ people: Yee Lin, Helmi, Grace, Andrew, Liu Hao, Mark Wong, Dennis, Vincent, Yinyi, Torance, Joel, (Kaibei sprained his ankle and couldn't make it), Zhixiu, Daniel, Jermyn, Bernard, Liana, Wuisiew, Zhensi, Victor, Jonathan, Jiayan, Shanqing, Xiaoqing and Shihong. Hope I didn't miss anyone out, 'cos everyone really mattered! And I received a bouquet of flowers from Likyin and 2 CDs of videos (compiled n filmed by Yeelin and Grace, Andrew and Helmi playing a big role in it too) of individual well wishing from the people mentioned above and more (Mark Wilfred, Raymond, Janice, Jane and Peidi) All of them actually took time off to come to the farewell party (it's only 1 week to finals, and those who know me, will know the mugging culture in UIUC) and especially Grace and Yeelin, nearly pulled an all nighter to complete the compilations of the videos.
The videos were very interesting: There were those of us watching the Illini basketball games - how everyone were screaming away, especially when we tied and had overtime at the Arizona game. Also, there was the one that Dennis filmed in Lincoln Hall, our lecture theatre, and it was actually filmed after the very lecture we skipped to have lunch, and the lecturer was there, the slides were still there, just that everyone else have left. Goodness, and he was pointing to the lecturer "This is the lecture that we've just missed to go for lunch" Yikes! What if the lecturer heard it?? Also there's the one with Torance having a constipated look (in terms of emotions =P) talking and suddenly SQ's slipper came flying and hit him. And also Liu Hao's solo drama in the toilet - our favorite hangout last semester, gosh, I was seriously laughing and crying at the same time! Not forgetting Andrew's handstand and "fantastic" singing, and Yeelin, Helmi, Grace and Andrew dancing at 1 am in the morning. Goodness, I'm just so blessed! There are still many interesting ones, in fact every single was interesting - there was also the one in which Raymond was talking so seriously and Andrew was making weird gestures at the back without him knowing; and in Victor's one, Jane and Andrew were doing the Bollywood dance behind him. So cute!!!!!! Not forgetting the 'interesting' remote control in SQ's house in Xiaoqing's video clip.
I can never thank Yeelin and Grace enough for making the effort to meet up with all these people (and also all these people to meet up with them too) and make these 2 wonderful CDs. I guess words really can't describe how much effort they've put in and how thankful and (guilty) I am towards them. Basically everyone, seriously, everyone.
I really would like to go on about all the video clips and the times I had with all these people. But I guess, it's more for me than for others if I'd want to write them in this blog rite? Ah... Not making sense anymore, tired tired, been up since 8 in the morning. Better catch some sleep. Good night Xiuli. Good night everyone.
1 comment:
God, you must show me the videos k.
MUST.
Really happy for you that you have got such great great frens in US!
Post a Comment